The Inspector-General of Police, Christian Tetteh Yohuno, has announced a major breakthrough in the Ghana Police Service’s fight against violent crime, following the arrest of several suspects linked to high-profile murder and armed robbery cases in the Atebubu enclave of the Bono East Region.
Addressing a press briefing, the IGP disclosed that police intelligence operations had led to the arrest of suspects connected to the murder of Nana Sewa Jankuma, Queenmother of Abamba, as well as a deadly armed robbery attack at a GB oil filling station near Atebubu.
According to him, the police over the past year had intensified intelligence-led operations across the country, targeting armed robbery gangs, narcotics networks, online fraud syndicates, child trafficking rings and other organised criminal groups.
He explained that with logistical and operational support from the government, several violent crime syndicates had been dismantled, leading to the retrieval of weapons and ammunition from criminal gangs.
The IGP noted that Atebubu, which had in recent times become a hotspot for criminal activity, was now under sustained police pressure through swoops and intelligence operations aimed at flushing out criminals from the area.
“Those who were daring enough to engage the police in shootouts received the appropriate response, while others fled the town,” he stated, adding that the operations would continue to ensure residents could conduct their daily activities without fear.
On the murder of the Abamba Queenmother, which occurred on February 25, 2026, the police chief revealed that investigations took a dramatic turn after police at Kasoa arrested suspects allegedly preparing to commit robbery.
During interrogation, one of the suspects, identified as Abdurazak Ibrahim Langa, alias Zak, reportedly confessed knowledge of the murder, claiming the “ghost” of the deceased queenmother had been tormenting him.
Further investigations identified Nana Yaw Bediako, alias Nana Yaw, as the alleged gunman who shot the queenmother. Police say he confessed to the crime and implicated Nana Osu Sankofi II, chief of Akonkwa, as the alleged mastermind behind the murder plot.
According to the IGP, the chief allegedly promised to pay GH¢50,000 for the assassination.
Police investigations subsequently led to the arrest of additional suspects, including Bukari Amadu, a driver, and another suspect identified as Daco, described as the Abakomahene of Akonkwa.
The IGP also disclosed that another suspect, Suley Yagani, currently serving a prison sentence at Nsawam Maximum Security Prison and temporarily held at Sunyani Central Prison pending an appeal, had been linked to the case.
On the May 2, 2026 armed robbery attack at the GB filling station, the police chief said eight suspects, including two women, had so far been arrested.
Three suspects – Adam Ademu, 27, Suley Amadu, 22, and Abdulai Ali, 45 – remain in police custody, while three others, Abdul Razak Osman, Nuhum Awudu and Dauda Issa, died during police operations.
The two female suspects, both nursing mothers, have been granted temporary police bail.
Preliminary investigations, according to the IGP, revealed that the alleged ringleader, Abdul Razak Osman, who operated within the area, contracted members of the gang to rob and kill the owner of the filling station.
Police said the gang monitored the owner’s movements and attacked after mistakenly believing he had entered the premises.
However, the intended target had reportedly left moments earlier. Realising they had missed him, the suspects allegedly opened fire indiscriminately, killing two persons and injuring two others.
The IGP assured the public that all suspects implicated in the crimes would be made to face the full rigours of the law.
He commended officers from the Police Intelligence Directorate, the Cybercrime and Enforcement Unit, the Anti-Armed Robbery Unit and the Bono East Regional Police Command for what he described as their dedication and sacrifice in pursuing the criminals.
He also expressed gratitude to members of the public who provided information that aided the investigations.
“To the criminals out there, watch out. We are coming for you,” the IGP warned.
For more news, join The Chronicle Newspaper channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBSs55E50UqNPvSOm2z
The post Police Crack Major Robbery, Murder Syndicates In Atebubu Enclave appeared first on The Ghanaian Chronicle.
Read Full Story
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Google+
YouTube
LinkedIn
RSS