Ghana’s Black Queens players have raised concerns over what they describe as limited government presence and support during their campaign at the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco.
In a statement issued by the players, they said the level of engagement from government officials during the tournament had been a concern.
The players noted that the Minister responsible for Sports attended only their first official training session, while GFA President Kurt Okraku was also present at that session.
According to the players, there has been limited government presence around the team since then, despite the tournament's significance and the importance of the Black Queens’ campaign.
The concerns come after Ghana’s quarterfinal elimination from the competition following a 2-1 defeat to Malawi.
The players, however, stressed that their concerns were not intended to create conflict or show disrespect to the government. They said they remain proud to represent Ghana and committed to the national team.
The Black Queens still have an opportunity to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup through the African playoff route after missing out on automatic qualification through the WAFCON semifinals.
Ghana will face Côte d’Ivoire on Thursday in the playoff, with the team needing to navigate the additional qualification route to keep their World Cup hopes alive.
Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +233 546310076.
Read Full Story
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Google+
YouTube
LinkedIn
RSS