
Evidences are emerging about how military officers allegedly brutalised a group of young boys at Asafo BB, a suburb of Kumasi, leading to the death of two of them.
The military personnel had allegedly accused the boys of stealing a mobile phone – iPhone 15 pro max – from a young lady who has been identified as Mavis Mensah.

Kwabena Safo, 25 and Kwame Adu, 32 died from the alleged military brutalisation, whiles Christian Obiri Yeboah, 25, who is also known as Kofi Yesu survived the cruelty.
After being subjected to severe beatings, the military men allegedly dumped them into a bush near Lancaster Hotel, in Kumasi.
This reporter is reliably informed that those who attempted to film the incident when the boys were being tortured had their phones seized and smashed into pieces.

Information from multiple sources told The Chronicle that on March 27, 2025 the three boys allegedly stole iPhone 15 Pro Max phone from their victim – Mavis Mensah – whilst driving in traffic.
The latter allegedly contacted some of the ‘areas boys’ at Adum PZ and informed them about the theft. The area boys subsequently accompanied her (Mavis) to Asafo BB to search for the phone.
The Chronicle was told that when the ‘area boys’ contacted their colleagues at Asafo BB, they confirmed that they stole the phone from the young lady, which they had sold for GHS3,000.
Unfortunately, the person who bought the stolen phone had gone out of the area and so Mavis and her boys were told to come back later for ‘negotiations.’ In the end, Mavis paid the GHS3,000 and got her phone back.
However, on the following Friday, March 28, 2025 the military men went to the same Asafo BB on the same mission, that is, to retrieve the stolen phone. The military men allegedly pounced on the boys who allegedly stole the phone and beat them mercilessly.
SURVIVING SUSPECT
The surviving victim, Christian Obiri Yeboah, confirmed to The Chronicle that were attacked by the military men after some informants had arrested them (boys suspected to have stolen the phone) and handed them over to the military, who also took them to Sofoline.
According to him, whiles they were being assaulted, one of the military men realised
that some bystanders were observing the sordid act and, therefore, pleaded with his colleagues to stop, but his colleagues (military men) did not listen to him. The victim also alleged that the military men took them to an unknown location and continued with the beatings and later abandoned them.
“I walked to the roadside and a Good Samaritan gave me GHC5.00 which I used to buy water to clean the blood on my entire body. After that I walked all the way to Asafo”, he told The Chronicle.
When The Chronicle asked the victim if indeed he and his friends stole the phone from the lady, he responded in the affirmative.
Mavis Mensah, whose iPhone 15 Pro Max was allegedly stolen, confirmed the theft when contacted on phone, but explained that she had been able to get her phone back.
She added that after retrieving her Iphone, she left Kumasi for the national capital, Accra.
BROTHER OF THE DECEASED
Nana Osei, a brother of Kwame Adu, one of the deceased suspects, also told investigators that his brother placed a distress call to him with an odd number and disclosed to him that he had been abducted by the military and is being held at Sofoline Barracks. According to him, the brother confirmed that he had stolen an iPhone 15 Pro Max and sold it.
He further quoted his deceased brother as saying that though his colleagues at Asafo BB had paid back GHC3,000 to Mavis Mensah, the lady they stole the mobile phone from, the military men were still insisting that they pay the money again. Unfortunately, Osei told The Chronicle that he could not afford the GHS3,000 his brother was demanding from him to be given to the military men to stop beating him.
“He called again pleading that I should send any amount of money I have on me because he was being tortured by the soldiers, but I told him I am at site and I don’t have any money on me. The call was briefly interrupted by a voice saying – ‘he says he is at site, your brother we will call you back.”
He noted that in the evening around 19:00hrs GMT, the wife of his late brother called to say that he was dead.
Nana Osei said as soon as they heard about the demise of his brother, they rushed to Central and Sofoline Police stations, but the police told them that no case of the sort had been reported to them.
The following day, they went to Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital and found the mortal remains of his brother
“When we went to the morgue at KATH, we saw the lifeless body of my brother with bruises and lacerations”, he said.
MILITARY HIGH COMMAND
Meanwhile, the military high command has issued a statement in connection with the incident. The following is the full statement;
The attention of the Military High Command has been drawn to an incident that is alleged to have taken place in Kumasi on Friday, 28 March, 2025.
Seven military personnel, made up of three officers and four soldiers are alleged to have arrested and assaulted three civilians for stealing a mobile phone belonging to another civilian.
The civilians are alleged to have suffered varied degrees of injuries. The Military Police and the Ashanti Regional Police CID are investigating the case.
The officers and the soldiers have been placed under closed arrest whiles the investigation continues.
The Military High Command wishes to assure all that anyone found culpable would be dealt with according to the law. We also urge the families and friends of the victims to remain calm and await the outcome of the investigation.
POLICE
Meanwhile, when The Chronicle contacted the police, ASP Godwin Ahianyo, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) for the Ashanti Regional Police Command said he was out of town and, therefore, unaware of the case.
The post 7 ‘Abongo Boys’ Run Amok In Kumasi …Allegedly Beat Two Asafo BB Boys To Death For Stealing iPhone 15 Pro Max appeared first on The Ghanaian Chronicle.
Read Full Story
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Google+
YouTube
LinkedIn
RSS